Saturday, November 14, 2009

Treasure Beach Today

Title:  Treasure Beach today
 
Before I discuss the news around the area, I want to thank who ever the mystery person is that picks up our garbage. No, not the garbage in the cans on the street or my own personal garbage. I'm talking about the garbage that is thrown from cars and trucks on our streets. Just last week I noticed some broken beer bottles at the entrance to our development, and like a number of other discarded items on the road it disappeared within 24hrs. Wow, and thanks to who ever got that mess off the road. Personally I pick up anything that lands on my lawn and we've had some real nasty things appear. My own favorite surprise was a very large dead fish. There are a few people within blocks of me that might have even made dinner from it, but once I picked up the large catch I could see the talon marks from an osprey bird. Somehow the bird must have been startled while flying with his prize and it landed on my front lawn. Walking around the streets I've cleaned up other messes myself, from McDonalds' bags to wine bottles. Yeah, its not the type of area you want to live in when you see our streets littered with debris, and its not tourists doing it. Not at all, it is coming from locals that live in Treasure Beach. I have to admit the canals are a trashy mess too with floating docks breaking up and the boards just floating off all over the areas waterway. A number of years ago we had the county do a canal clean up. The price was and still is outrageous for what little was done at the time, I hope we within TB never make that mistake again. On to events this month we have 2 single wide trailers on Treasure Beach road that have been removed. I'm not sure what will happen to this land at the time of writing, but I'm glad to see the old rusty shacks have left. Already Treasure Beach road looks better with the singles now gone for good. A few new homes are under construction this year again, and with the economy so slow, its still nice to see some new work going on. The streets are quiet after all the new waterlines were installed, but I've heard rumblings about sewers are next on the list for upgrades from the county, we'll have to see a timeline on that event before reporting on it.
 
Our local Kangaroo Express store is closing ! In the past few years we lost the small gas station part of this store located just south of Treasure Beach on A1A and Jellison Street. Fact is, back at that time they removed the gas pumps I was sure it was going to be only a few weeks before it would close down, but day to day I saw more and more locals from Treasure Beach picking up their cigarettes and beer. So many locals from our development use the Kangaroo Express, its almost another hang out place for the canal gang. Over the next few years I was happy to see it getting busy and holding its own for sales. For those that don't use it the passing might be nothing but less traffic to our south side of the development, but its my hope that someone will re-open it. As a convenient store it will be missed and the job loss is almost depressing at this time. In an interview with the stores manager I found that sales had actually become stronger after loosing the gas pumps, and in fact sales each year had increased. After checking with the Kangaroo corporation, I found the little store doesn't fit within their business models now. The company informed me they are moving towards owning the property that each store is located, and this was the main reason for closing our little express store at this time. With no plans to re-open it, the store's last official day is now set for Nov.24th / 2009. On the other hand its snowbird time and some area businesses will see an increase in sales that helps them get thru winter time. Palms Grill at our entrance is now staying open on Sundays for dinner. The owner informs me that in the trade off, he'll close early on Mondays but will add Sunday dinners. If you've ever lived in Treasure Beach and had someone famous come by the house let me know, next month I'd like to do a list. Ok, so the Queen of England is coming to Saint Augustine on 2015. I don't think she'll do a drive by, but its her loss not ours....., HEY, we can all do the wave part right ?
 
L.A. Panchuk ( Author: The Devil's Magnet )
Reporter Xzone radio

No comments:

Post a Comment